Certificate of Occupancy

The City will issue a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) for any structure after the project has passed its final inspection.  To obtain a certificate of occupancy for a completed structure, please contact the Department of Planning & Engineering at 317-736-3631.  A certificate of occupancy will not be issued without a request by the contractor, home owner, or other interested parties.

The City also, from time to time, will issue a six (6) month temporary certificate of occupancy.  Commonly this denotes that the actual physical structure is safe to occupy and has passed its final inspection, but some remaining site work (landscaping, grading, paving, etc.) has yet to be completed.  If the required work (noted on the temporary certificate of occupancy) has not been completed at the end of the six (6) month period, the certificate of occupancy is considered expired.

For additional information regarding the certificate of occupancy, please refer to the Franklin City Zoning Ordinance, Section 8.10 & 8.11.