Owners of parcels of land within the City of Franklin, and inside her "buffer zone" may request their property be changed to a different zoning district.  This process provides a permanent change of permitted uses and development standards.  A request for re-zoning of property must be approved by the Franklin Common Council, due to the petition's request to change the ordinance establishing the zoning map.  The typical process of a re-zoning petition is as follows.

  1. Filing of application for re-zoning with the Department of Planning

  2. Review of the petition by the Technical Review Committee

  3. Public Hearing at the City Plan Commission - the commission will make a recommendation to the City Council

  4. Introduction to the City Council

  5. Public Hearing by the City Council